Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  September 27, 2011 12:00am-1:00am EDT

12:00 am
and told him it's not what he's done for the country but what he's going to do for the country and they've got to believe him. we're at a tipping point where republicans believe barack obama and what he's going to do. >> that's an interesting point. if you watch whether the president's going, he's got the map in mind just like all of us do. >> we're working on the same map. troy davis died in non-combat been with him, the justice.
12:01 am
been >> the idea of they are working on since the security day, the programs that will be there for them. >> he knows about everything. michael moore, no holds barred. >> people are a lot of work so they can make more money shipping jobs overseas. >> michael moore for the hour, this year's "piers morgan tonight." >> right there on the scene, while nick of the most punitive men in america, michael moore. >> a happy day for me as 1 i will be unemployed when i don't have to make another movie and read another one of these book. the real people in this country are in charge and i don't have to do any dust anymore. that is my nevada. >> that was half an hour ago. miraculously, you have appeared on time.
12:02 am
it was a little bit here, we lock you out. >> i was down there at the protest but we made it back. >> is that what life is about? people on the streets, protesting having their voice? does that sum up michael moore? >> i am a citizen of this country so first and foremost before i am a filmmaker or anything else, i am a citizen. i try as much as possible to participate as a citizen care placement i resist down there about an hour ago, there was a man there from a more concerted news channel and asking me what was i doing down there. and why am i against capitalism. you do so well, why are you against capitalism. i said you don't know what capitalism is these days.
12:03 am
the majority of this country and everybody else is scrambling for crumbs. and i look forward to the day when i don't have to make another one of these films are too many of this because that would be the ultimate best thing to happen. your films have been very direct and the processors that wall street seemed to me to not be lacking in any formal direction. if u.s. and what they're protecting about, whoa kind of people are they. people are a bit cynical about what is going on down there. what do you think. >> when there's a move more protests a star, this is just the beginning. if you look back at the beginning of the women's liberation movement, the anti-war movement against vietnam, those were just a few people and the majority of the country didn't agree with them. what is great about this is that the majority of the country actually agrees with those protesters on wall street.
12:04 am
>> they are not paying their fair share of the taxes. and now with the citizens and not a case in the supreme court, they can buy politicians out in the open. assessment so this is a conglomeration of ideas and thoughts of what's happening. but it points to are we going to live in a democracy that's run by the majority of the people or living in a kleptocracy where the kleptomaniacs down on wall street have stolen pension funds, wrecked lives, millions are thrown out of their homes, millions without health insurance, how many more millions of people do they think they're going to abuse like that before you start to see people stand up? what i just saw down there, the little i've seen on the news, they show all the hippies, the drums and the -- and all that. i saw a wide cross-section of people. >> what kind of people are they? >> workers. that's the first thing i noticed.
12:05 am
people have driven to this from all over the eastern part of the country. >> are they unemployed, ex-bankers, what are they? >> i didn't meet any ex-bankers. >> i'm told there are ex-bankers down there. that's why i asked that. >> i met housewives, i met people who are unemployed, i met people that were just getting out of work and just coming down there at 6:00. a lot of them are students. these students, you know, they're the ones that are really screwed. >> i'm surprised, i'll come to that. i'm surprised there haven't been more protests. i really am. i would have thought that given the state of the economy, given the state of the jobs crisis, given the way that so many people in america are suffering, i'm amazed there aren't more people marching on the streets saying i've had enough. >> first of all, change takes a while. people are afraid, they don't and it know what to do. they don't been know -- look, we got rid of slavery in 1863 in this country. it wasn't until the 1960s that
12:06 am
you saw the large marches and the civil rights act being a hope passed. women couldn't vote until 1920, and then you didn't have the real women's liberation movement until the '60s and '70s. things take time. this won't take that long. this won't take a hundred years for people to respond because wall street has overplayed its hand. they've come down too hard on too many people, especially people in the middle class who used to believe in wall street. >> you mentioned students. when you look at what happened with the arab spring uprisings, one of the key factors in that bond were better educated young people who came out of education and had no jobs and thought, i'm not having this. you see a similar kind of sentiment now with these protesters down on wall street, many of these are students and it is not crippling expensive for them. and this is the wrong way for the american dream to work, isn't it? >> that's correct. the guardian had a wonderful
12:07 am
essay on this a day or so ago. >> you tweeted it. >> yes, i did. if people have a chance to read it. basically the reporter, the man said, those young people are down there to reclaim their future. their future was stolen from them by these bankers, by these corporations by a system that has them in debt at age 22 just because they went to school. i mean, when people of my generation went to school, especially like in the university of california system or the suny system here in new york, you paid 20 bucks a semester, 30 bucks. >> it wasn't wall street that caused that. that is a government issue in relation to the education system. >> no, that's a shift of money. yes, it is. a shift of money so that wall street and the corporations it represents can become rich especially off war. $2 billion a week is spent on these war. who is making that money? wall street and these corporations are making the money. that's where the money is going. it's being sucked out of education, sucked out of their future, sucked out of people's pension funds.
12:08 am
the whole gamut of it. people are on to it. this is why these young people won't have to wait very long for their to be a response in this country because the majority agrees with them that they've been ripped off, abused, that we have a sick healthcare system, all these things that are wrong that just feed huge, huge profits. >> are you in favor of all protests? and the reason i ask that is you saw what happened in britain recently, london what did you make of that? it spread to other cities. what did you think of that protest? >> i don't think it was a protest. >> that's why i ask you. >> you can only push people so far. and human beings, human beings will respond. you can just put the boot down on the neck so hard. and in your country in your system there where people have gotten, you know, come to expect that they paid taxes, they pay taxes to get certain things back, and when they see that
12:09 am
that isn't happening and that this is a new britain, that's not the britain they want. and they responded. it's not the way i would respond, but that's the way they responded. >> i don't think it was that sophisticated. i don't think those people pay taxes. i think a lot of them were common, petty criminals in that case. that's why i was asking you about it. i do think what's happened around the middle east has fired people up to do something, but it has to be for the right reason. there has to be a control over this. >> no. >> where is your line drawn in active protesting? you wouldn't endorse looting, would you? >> no, of course not. i don't endorse any form of violence or anything like that. the difference between britain and the middle east, because it was the right thing and it was organized the right way even though it was sort of a grassroots thing, everybody came together and everybody agreed this is what it should be. there was no core, there was no soul to what was happening in britain. now we've got to do this or get together and do that. it was a random thing. it's the thing the mayor of the
12:10 am
city, michael bloomberg, said could happen here if we don't get busy creating jobs right now. he said this two weeks ago. >> when you saw obama's jobs plan come out, any evidence it will work? >> sure, of course. a good step in the right direction, yes. >> has he failed in not doing this before? >> yes. first of all, he didn't do enough of it before and he used a word called "stimulus" that, you know, what does that mean? it means something else. >> but if he hadn't done that it could have been much more catastrophic. the damage was done before obama came to power. >> right. of course it was. he inherited an incredible mess. he didn't go far enough first time. now he's going farther. good to see him responding in this manner. >> obviously you blame the republicans. are there individuals in the financial system that when you look back over what happened, who are the figureheads that should be culpable here. no one's really been held to
12:11 am
account for, as you say, the greatest financial crisis in our lifetime, probably in history. there's no accountability here. >> right. that's because people don't really know who they are. i mean, people -- >> who are the bad guys, do you think? >> the bad guys are the people who run goldman sachs, people that run morgan stanley, the ratings agencies that gave them all this phony baloney ratings, the banks that set up this fraudulent mortgage system, bank of america, wells fargo, all these banks that rip people off, ruin their lives, ruined the banks themselves but not so much as to where they couldn't get the bailout in time. so those are the people we should really be focusing on. but they don't come on piers morgan. you don't see their face. you don't know who they are. >> that's true. most of them don't. >> no. no. we don't, right? if you asked people who was the head of goldman sachs, most people couldn't say that man's name and he wouldn't come on
12:12 am
here and talk to you. >> lloyd blankfein, if you're watching, we're here. you're a very, very successful very rich filmmaker. in a way that is capitalism. you've got a business. >> is it really? >> in a pure sense. >> there's nothing pure about capitalism. >> what is it? >> first of all, i do well. for a documentary filmmaker, i do really well. i'm very blessed and fortunate that people want to go see my movies. the only reason i do well is so many millions want to see my movies. they wouldn't go see them and i wouldn't be sitting here. >> is there a good form of capitalism? has it been corrupted? >> when you say the word capitalism, you have to talk about it in its current sense.
12:13 am
you can't talk about the old days or the adam smith, old capitalism. >> wasn't america fundamentally built on a form of capitalist dream. the idea that you can come from nowhere. >> and you work hard and everybody else prospered. as you prospered the wealth was shared with your employees, with the government, everybody had a piece of the pie. you who started the business or invented the light bulb or whatever, you got a bigger piece of the pie. and you know what? nobody cared because you invented the light bulb. >> where did it go wrong? >> first of all, we started rewarding people not for making things or inventing things. we reward people for making money off money and moving money around and dividing up mortgages a thousand times over, selling it to china and trying to figure out how i can make more money off of this money and it becomes a shell game where no one knows where the actual cash is that we're spinning around here.
12:14 am
we got so lost, we have been so on the wrong path for quite some time now that the idea of capitalism -- there's nothing wrong with you or me or anybody here earning a dollar working hard, being rewarded for that. nobody has ever been against that. we're against greed, and we're against the fact that 1% could get nine slices of the pie and the other 99% are supposed to fight over the last slice. that's un-american, that's not democracy. it's not christian or jewish or buddhist or muslim. none of the major religions -- they all say it's probably one of the worst sins you can commit is to take such a large piece of the pie while others suffer. 46 million people living in poverty right now in the united states. that's an absolute crime, it's immoral. these guys are posting the largest profits ever this year. you're right, where's the rage? where's the uprising? it's starting right now down on wall street. starts with the young people.
12:15 am
people watching this tonight, people are afraid they'll be foreclosed on this year, don't know if they'll be out of a job next year, can't afford the medical bills for their kids. they're sitting home right now going god, i wish i could do something. what can i do? somebody has to start it somewhere. it will spread across the country. believe you me, it won't be because of anything i say or you say, people already feel it. they're sick and tired of it. i think you'll see it happen more and more this this country. >> hold your own fury for a moment. i'll come back and ask you about the is obama revitalized? you saw him this weekend. is that the right thing? [ male announcer ] this is lara.
12:16 am
her morning begins with arthritis pain. that's a coffee and two pills. the afternoon tour begins with more pain and more pills. the evening guests arrive. back to sore knees. back to more pills. the day is done but hang on... her doctor recommended aleve. just 2 pills can keep arthritis pain away all day with fewer pills than tylenol. this is lara who chose 2 aleve and fewer pills for a day free of pain. and get the all day pain relief of aleve in liquid gels. and fewer pills for a day free of pain. [ male announcer ] executor of efficiency. you can spot an amateur from a mile away... while going shoeless and metal-free in seconds. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle...and go. you can even take a full-size or above, and still pay the mid-size price.
12:17 am
now this...will work. [ male announcer ] just like you, business pro. just like you. go national. go like a pro. woman: saving for our child's college fund was getting man: yes it was. so to save some money, we taught our 5 year old how to dunk. woman: scholarship! woman: honey go get him.
12:18 am
anncr: there's an easier way to save. get online. go to geico.com. get a quote. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance. will be giving away passafree copies of the alcoholism & addiction cure. to get yours, go to ssagesmalibubook.com. take off your bedroom slippers, put on your marching shoes. shake it off. stop complaining. stop grumbling. stop crying. we are going to press on. we've got work to do.
12:19 am
>> president obama speaking to the congressional black caucus on saturday, key constituency if he's going to get re-elected. twitter has exploded with this interview tonight. i would say at the moment 2-1, two-thirds saying you're a genius and the third saying you're a dangerous half wit. do you concede to other? >> i plead guilty to the dangerous part maybe. but the half wit, i leave that up to the nuns that i had in school. >> this is your book "here comes trouble." and you are trouble. and where trouble is there's division of opinion. you must be one of the most divisive people in the country. >> divisive? you know, we live in a democracy. you should stand for something. you should stand up for what you believe in. that's a good thing. i never understand this oh, we need more bipartisan or nonpartisan. partisan is actually good. that's what's good about democracy. >> let me ask you this. do you have any views that you think are genuinely surprising to people who think you're a predictable kneejerk liberal.
12:20 am
>> i could tell you things that i agree with consevatives on. not the new conservatives. not that stuff. but the -- >> we'll come to that. >> the old school conservatives who believe you shouldn't spend money you don't have. you should conserve your money. you should conserve the air and the water. these are gifts from god, this planet, you know, to be behaving like this. i believe very much in those things. i believe that, you know -- >> the tea party, for example. >> yeah. >> i'm sure we'll come to your views in a moment. but in terms of their actual policies, it's hard to argue with some of what they say. do you have a blanket distrust and hatred of all things tea party or can you recognize that some things they say are completely reasonable and that's why they gather support? >> at the very beginning there might have been some people who were trying to join the party to say some reasonable things because they were upset at wall street and what was happening,
12:21 am
but these days, the tea party is a wing of the republican party thinking, it's funded by billionaires. so no, it's a very different animal now. you know, i don't -- here's a question -- i'll save this for wolf blitzer. but i don't understand why cnn would join up with the tea party express to sponsor a debate. can you imagine a cnn michael moore debate? i mean, like i'm -- >> yes, i do. >> do you think cnn would do that? >> i don't know. i would have a debate with you tomorrow. the whole hour, an audience. >> let the nurses or the teachers unions partner up with cnn and sponsor the next debate. >> i don't really buy that. i don't think you can argue the tea party have become an incredibly important political party element of what will be the next election campaign. >> sure. >> you can't ignore that. >> no, but i would submit to you there are more teachers and nurses than there are members of the tea party.
12:22 am
>> they aren't going to run the country. >> they better or we're in trouble. >> obama looked to me over the weekend when he made that speech, that speech put on your marching shoe, it looked to me like a guy, who finally went, i'm fed up with this. i'm going to get angry. >> he should be mad at himself first. this is a quarterback who pisses away the first three quarter, then in the fourth quarter decides to show up and start playing football. >> why has he pissed it away? >> i don't know. i don't know the game plan that was in his head, the people advising him. for the first two years they had both houses. why they allowed that opportunity to go by and now all of a sudden now we're going to charge forward, great, then you're going to find most people on board with you. but geez, you took an awfully long time. >> i found this summer incomprehensible. i couldn't understand why he would allow the perception to be the republicans are running the show and allow john boehner who run rings around him.
12:23 am
>> i always thought he was his own man. clearly in "the new york times" showed in their polling that with all his drift to the center and to the right, he hasn't picked up a single republican vote out there in america. he's lost a good chunk of the independents and even some of the democrats. it was a foolhardy mistake to head toward the center and the right when the majority of the country is actually quite liberal on the issues, even though most people wouldn't call themselves liberals. most americans want strong environmental laws, they believe in equal rights for women. 55% think that gay marriage should be the law of the land. except for the death penalty. >> who to you was the least worrying republican candidate? >> there's only one, there's only one that has sanity operating inside of him and i mean, that's jon huntsman. i mean, when they asked who here believes in science, and he's was the only one to raise his hands.
12:24 am
all those in favor of math, home ec, wood shop, wood shop! you know. >> i found huntsman very impressive when i interviewed him he speaks chinese. he understands what that's all about. >> a mormon and a governor of utah and he got a civil union law passed that's not passed in many states that are not utah. >> why is he not getting the traction -- >> he believes in global warming. why isn't he getting the traction? >> yes. >> because he's smart and he actually might win. if the republican party and the tea party were smart, they would run somebody who would not only get the republican vote but a good chunk of the independents and the democrats vote. they're on the tea-tanic. they're all on this boat. and they're just dancing to the dance band on the "titanic" that's playing along while their ship -- it's going to sink. the american public is not as
12:25 am
crazy as the other eight candidates. although the american public does like pizza, so they will vote for one guy. >> let's take another break. when we come back, i want to talk about executions and your attempt to boycott your own book in georgia, which has failed. >> yes. nationwide insurance, what's up ? what's vanishing deductible all about ?
12:26 am
guys, it's demonstration time. let's blow carl's mind. okay, let's say i'm your insurance deductible. every year you don't have an accident, $100 vanishes. the next year, another $100. where am i going, carl ? the next year... that was weird. but awesome ! ♪ nationwide is on your side
12:27 am
12:28 am
governor perry, a question about texas. your state has executed 234 death row inmates more than any other governor in modern times. have you struggled to sleep at night with the idea that any one of those might have been innocent?
12:29 am
>> no, sir, i've never struggled with that at all. >> rick perry, the republican debate on msnbc earlier this month. moderated there by brian williams. getting applause for defending texas' record on capital punishment, which is -- you know, is it something worth applauding in the modern age, michael? >> well, no. in any age. i mean, again, people think of this as some kind of judeo-christian country. i don't think that's the way any of us were raised. >> do you think americans know how few other countries actually have the death penalty. >> i don't think they do. and i don't think understand where we stand in how many we execute. we're right up there with saudi arabia, with china, with a few other countries that we should be not in any company with when it comes to things like this. >> since 1976 two-thirds of all the executions in america have come from five states all in the south.
12:30 am
fact. and of those, the vast majority are black and poor. >> of course. >> and can't afford proper legal representation. >> correct. >> these are fairly damning statistics. i read "the new york times" article today saying it is time to end this. it is medieval. >> history will not judge us well that we kept this going for so long. i came from michigan. we were the first english speaking government in the world back in the 1800s to eliminate the death penalty. we haven't had it sense. it's barbaric, it doesn't prevent crime. it doesn't act as a deterrent. >> but the key thing about it is if they can guarantee that every single person was 100% guilty, that's one argument, but i've read a statistic this morning 17 people who were on death row have had their sentences commuted because dna, fresh fresh evidence, acquitted them of the crimes. they would have all potentially -- >> been killed. >> been killed.
12:31 am
and that becomes a form of state legislative murder. >> that is correct. murder in our name. >> another 112 had their sentences commuted from death row. when you see that volume of people who were clearly innocent of these crimes. >> right. >> that to me is the end of the debate, isn't it? >> it should absolutely be the end of the debate. for people to applaud texas like that i saw a sign somebody was holding, i think it was actually just down at the protest that said, if corporations are now considered people, i'm waiting for the day when texas decides to execute one of them. because, i mean, i don't understand texas, i don't really know how to explain it. i don't explain why people were applauding that in that audience. >> personally, i love texas. i go there quite a lot for "america loves talent." we were talking about the show in the break. >> the people are great. i'm talking about the politics. >> the reason that audience applauded, i suspect, is they represent a lot of people in texas, a lot of texans if you
12:32 am
talk to them, would say they do believe in the death penalty maybe because they've been conditioned by their political leaders. how do you change that thinking? >> well, you just did. you put out some statistics there. hopefully good hearted people will say -- >> those stats startled me. when i read those in "the new york times" today, i was, wow, really? that volume of people? >> yes. >> were proven later to be innocent and they could have been killed. >> yes. well over a hundred now. well over a hundred that were on death row were found not to have committed the crime. >> one of the powerful parts of this book, a very well constructed book because it has vignettes of your life, another michael moore who wrote to you to say, i did a terrible thing. but the more you studied his case -- >> in texas. >> -- he'd been badly abused. as a result he went on a crazy spree of stalking women. he tried to stalk a young woman. her mother was there, he
12:33 am
panicked, killed the mother. completely inarguably an awful thing to have done. >> awful, heinous. >> but he appealed to you to try and save his life, the more you researched his life, you realized how damaged he'd been. you were nearly successful. unbelievably by texas standards, he got a stay of execution. then came 9/11. you described how everything changed. because of 9/11, a lot of executions got speeded up. >> yes. >> there was a kind of death lust, a killing lust. as a result michael moore was executed. and you couldn't actually bear to be there at the execution. tell me about what that did to you. >> well, he had written to me. they had actually shown one of my films one night in the prison, and he saw my name and it was the same as his name. he had written me a letter. so i got on the internet and started a campaign to hold off his execution. remarkably enough, the appeals
12:34 am
board or group or whatever there in texas, they put off his execution for almost a year. it was a rare thing to happen in texas. and that brought the lawyers more time to try and stop this from happening. but a couple of months after 9/11 or whatever, that was really -- everyone just kind of -- we're not interested in trying to save the life of a murderer. we're sick of murderers. these murderers killed 3,000 people. when you don't have your head screwed on right -- we had a horrible thing happen to us on 9/11, but if you start spraying bullets because you're pissed, that won't solve the problem. >> if you had been an american president on 9/11, what would you have done? what would your reaction have been? because to have done nothing, i think, would have been the wrong reaction. then the american public were demanding some kind of retribution or something. what would you have done?
12:35 am
>> i would have done exactly what obama did and use our special forces who are some of our smartest and best trained soldiers to begin the effort to track down osama bin laden and his lieutenants and bring them to justice. that's not what happened. it looks like now bin laden was out of afghanistan two months after 9/11, at bora bora, he was gone. that was it. i've come on larry's show here and many shows for ten years and i said over and over again, he's not in afghanistan. why are we there? he's not in afghanistan, they're not in afghanistan. i have to suffer through all the slings and arrows of, how can he say that, what does he know. then of course he wasn't in afghanistan. he had to have been in one of two countries. either in pakistan or where he's from in saudi arabia and that's where he was being protected. one of those two countries. apparently obama and the intelligence and his special forces did the job that bush didn't really want to do, as richard clark and others in his
12:36 am
administration said, within a day or two, they were already talking about invading iraq. >> i want to come back to the wars a little later and come back after the break and talk about your parents. who are pivotal figures in this book and fascinating in their own right. but what they did to you as a young man to be what you are today, mr. trouble.
12:37 am
an accident doesn't have to slow you down. with better car replacement available only with liberty mutual auto insurance, if your car's totaled, we give you the money for a car one model year newer. to learn more, visit us today. responsibility. what's your policy?
12:38 am
12:39 am
12:40 am
we just came down from flint where we filmed a family being evicted from their home the day before christmas eve, a family that used to work in a factory, would you be willing to come up with us and see what the situation has been? >> i've been to flint and those people, i feel sorry about it. >> the family is being evicted from their homes. >> i'm sure general motors and such -- >> they used to work for general motors. now they don't work there any more. >> i'm sorry but -- >> can you come up to flint with us? >> i cannot come up to flint, i'm sorry. >> a clip from yt roger and me" and the latest book is "here comes trouble: stories from my life." a catalog of trouble. back to your early days. you were a natural born mischief maker albeit driven by a sense of purpose. >> i wasn't just like putting gum in girl's hair or stuff like that. >> you were unusually mature. you were doing weird things. you were making firebrand speeches against racists and stuff at school. this was unusual behavior. where did it come from?
12:41 am
>> i don't know. i honestly don't have a good answer for that. i was raised by very good parents. my mother and my father are irish catholic, good people, taught my sisters and i the difference between right and wrong, that we should always follow our conscience and that we should stand up for the little guy. if somebody was being bullied in the playground, i was usually the biggest kid in the class. so i'd step in and try and stop the bully from, you know, beating up the littler kid. i don't know why that was. i didn't like it. >> you have a heroic streak, but it also borders on self-destruction. i mean, there's an extraordinary account in the top of this book where you talk about the buildup to your oscars celebration speech, which became notorious, although, pretty well vindicated by subsequent events. >> pretty well? >> i would say vindicated but suspecting that some people wouldn't agree, but i do. >> thank you. >> you watch that speech now. you laugh that it attracted such
12:42 am
ire at the time. but it did. so much so that you end up with nine navy s.e.a.l.s on a security detail almost rivaling a presidential candidate because there were so many threats on your life. over 400 threats to your life at any one time. a terrifying repercussion of a speech in which you said, i don't like this war. >> that is correct. that's what happened. >> how did you actually feel? because you talk about you go into a shell for 2 1/2 years. you don't appear on television. you barely go out. what are you thinking then? you have this extraordinary rise, this firebrand michael moore, not only have you been muted but you're going out worrying about your life every day. what are you actually thinking? do you have moments of, i don't want to do this any more? >> yes. i wondered whether or not was it really worth it to, first of all, give that oscar speech. then after i made "fahrenheit 911" and a couple years after
12:43 am
the movie came out, everyone in the mainstream media says that's all -- that's exactly what happened, but in the meantime, during those years, 2003 and 2004 and 2005, i was under what one person -- the head of this -- i'll say his name. his name is gavin de becker. he's one of the top, if not the top security agency in the country. was often hired by the federal government as a consultant, worked with secret service people. that next to george w. bush, the person under most threats, getting the most threats in this country at that time was me. >> when you read the list of attempts of people against you coming at you with knives, coming at you with guns, people even rushing to stab you with pencils at book signings. >> a guy in ft. lauderdale takes the lid off his starbucks because he just sees me and he goes crazy. >> throws it at you. >> the limbaugh chip goes off on his head or whatever and you see
12:44 am
his face. he threw the hot scalding coffee right at your face. >> did you think you were going to die? >> no, no. i didn't think that. i think that -- look, like you said, i had three shifts of three navy s.e.a.l.s per shift, ex-navy s.e.a.l.s, they were all on my side and wanting to make sure that nothing happened to me. literally, some days have to form a semicircle around me going down the street because people were trying to punch me or tackle me or whatever. then i just started getting fit with the navy s.e.a.l.s. i started getting in better shape. started lifting a little bit. but these navy s.e.a.l.s, these are not -- as i hope you know, they're not bouncers. they're not like bodyguards. >> they're highly trained. >> they showed me how to take out somebody with a piece of dental floss. >> you could take me out with dental floss? >> this show would suddenly belong to nancy grace. >> larry would be back on. this is disturbing, though.
12:45 am
the opening entry you have is from glenn beck's show on fox, in which he details how he would like to kill michael moore. >> he said this live over the air. >> he did. kill michael moore. i'd like to choke him to death. that to me -- >> or hire a gun. >> that's scandalous. >> not only scandalous, where's the fcc when it comes to that? >> where are they? >> janet jackson bares a breast and cbs is fined god knows how much money but he can say that over the air and encourage the unhinged to harm me like that and nothing happens. nobody said anything about it at the time. >> i read that and i was outraged. how can a guy who hosts a show call for literally want to kill somebody like you for expressing a political opinion. >> yeah, yeah. >> you would never do that to them. >> no, in fact. i assumed that every person who is on the right or conservative or republican is an american who loves this country, loves it deeply.
12:46 am
and i would never question their own patriotism or their belief and their love for what this country is about and who the people are that are in it. the fact that i've had to endure this -- because at first, i thought why? i make documentaries. i'm not running for anything. i have no power. i can't control anything. why this? but i think in my own mind it's because on the left so few of us reach a wide mainstream audience. noam chomsky isn't sitting here tonight. he should be, but he isn't. i can think of people on the left who should have a full hour with you. the reason i'm here is because my work has reached millions of people and that is what drives republicans and the right insane. >> the reason i said you have a self-destructive button is despite all these threats -- if i had nine navy s.e.a.l.s living with me and people trying to
12:47 am
kill me, i would eventually stop trying to antagonize people. i would have backed off. but you didn't. whenever you say michael moore, whether you agree with him or not, he's fearless. he's got guts. >> i wish they'd watch one of my movies. if they would watch one of my films, they may not agree with me politically on all the things i'm saying, but they would know at the end of the film that i love this country and that i have a heart and they'll have a good laugh throughout the film. >> talking of good laughs, if you read this book, you very nearly became a priest. after the break, i want to assess why you decided not to become a priest. i think it's to do with your love of women. i need to examine this. the na,
12:48 am
12:49 am
i know pleasing fans is a top priority,
12:50 am
'cause without the fans, there'd be no nascar. just like if it weren't for customers, there'd be no nationwide. that's why they serve their customers' needs, not shareholder profits. because as a mutual, nationwide doesn't report to wall street, they report to their customers. and that's just one more reason why the earnhardt family has trusted nationwide for more than 30 years. nationwide is on your side.
12:51 am
keeping them honest tonight. michael moore is more entertaining on piers morgan than the monday night football game.
12:52 am
>> i used the words janet jackson and nancy grace together. and it magically happened in los angeles. >> you nearly became a priest. and then you didn't. what happened? >> i begged my parents to go to the seminary. i loved a radical priest when i was in junior high school. >> they kicked you out? >> no, i went in -- at the end of my first year i went in to resign, because i was 14 when i went in, i was 15 then. the hormones kicked in. >> i pray for everybody you have to come across in the future? >> father dewiki was his name. >> he was kicking me out. i said you can't kick me out, i came in here to quit. good, we're in agreement. >> one of the suspicions from
12:53 am
the book is one of the reasons you couldn't commit to a celibate life is because you were in favor with women? >> well, right. there's not to be any sexual activity in the military or priesthood. >> i either need not to have sex again or start my -- >> no, i think puberty kicked in a little late on me, it kicked in there, and it was kind of like, whoa! this is what i'm not supposed to do for the rest of my life? that doesn't seem right. and i started asking a lot of questions, how come women can't be priests. and they were so tired of me asking questions. >> you are an unlikely heartthrob? >> which women have said that? you're on cnn, you have to tell
12:54 am
the truth. >> there's a breed of woman out there that finds this whole thing out there attractive. do you have groupies? >> no. none. my groupies are all people that study the fed. >> you have the love of a good woman? >> yes, yes. >> tell me about her. >> well, her name is kathleen, and we've been together for about 30 years now. >> true love? >> yeah. she produced actually most of my films and the tv shows that we did, tv nation, the awful truth. i've known her since she was 17, i was probably 21ing back in flint. >> we'll come back after the break and finish that.
12:55 am
♪ and the flowers and the trees ♪ ♪ all laugh when you walk by ♪ and the neighbors' kids run and hide ♪ deep inside you, there's a person who refuses to be kept deep inside you. ♪ but you're not ♪ you're the one be true to yourself. what's healthier than that?
12:56 am
12:57 am
12:58 am
i'm back with michael moore, i'm looking at nancy grace and her wardrobe malfunction. unfortunately i can't show the viewers, it's too early in the evening for that. >> listen, i think nancy grace is a very attractive woman. >> so do i. >> and, we'll just leave it at that. >> what has been the greatest moment of your life? >> wow! the greatest moment of my life. i don't know. >> what's the moment you'd relive if you had five minutes to live? >> if i could do it again? >> i've been so blessed with so many great moments.
12:59 am
david letterman started his show years and years ago. and i just decided to get in the car and drive there, drive here to new york and stood in the stand by line. it was like the second or third show ever, and i got to be there. that may seem like a great moment to most people. why i'm saying that is i've always been of the mind that if i think something is the right thing to do, i should just go do it? >> how long was that drive? >> 750 miles. >> you drove 750 miles just to be in the line to watch him? >> i drove 900 miles to quebec city to see joan baez. >> do you accept you're slightly mad in that respect? >> yes. i'm glad i'm off the rail.
left
right